For press inquiries and interview requests: please call (206) 395-4452 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact a specialist at Shepherd's Counseling Services.
If you're a survivor, contact for services:
Find more information about specialized sliding-fee scale therapy offered at Shepherd's Counseling Services at www.ShepherdsTherapy.org.
For individuals in need of immediate help when Shepherd's is closed, please call the 24-hour Crisis Clinic at (206) 461-3222.
About Shepherd's Counseling Services
Uniquely dedicated to supporting a deep healing process for adult men and women who were sexually abused in childhood with specialized, multi-modality, and individualized therapy services through which survivors can reclaim their lives.
Founded in 1987
Located in Seattle, WA serving the Puget Sound Region
Sliding-fee scale, need-based scholarships, and many insurance plans accepted
A 501(c)3 non-profit, not religiously based or affiliated, a welcoming and non-discriminating organization
An International Voice: Shepherd's Counseling Services has been a national and international voice creating public awareness of childhood sexual abuse for nearly 30 years, and is unique in its sole focus on providing specialized therapy services for adult men and women who were sexually abused during their childhood years. Shepherd's has also been nationally recognized for providing support groups for partners of survivors of child sexual abuse.
Experts in the Field: As experts in working with adult survivors of child sexual abuse, we can provide information on the context in which sexual abuse of children occurs and on what we all can do to help protect children. We can also speak to the long-term impact on adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse, as well as provide information on services. Learn more.
Executive Director Bio
Janice Palm, MA, LMHC (Licensed Mental Health Counselor), has a Master's Degree in Psychology and nearly two decades of experience in the field. She has extensive training in treating abuse, trauma, depression, and anxiety. Inspired by the courage of sexual abuse survivors, Janice joined Shepherd’s Counseling Services in 2000 as a therapist and became the Executive Director in 2003. Learn more.
Shepherd's Counseling Services Data
- Approximately 40% men and 60% women
- Clients served annually: 150-175, weekly: 80-90
- Executive and Administrative Staff: 2.75 FTE
- 8 Therapists
About Child Sexual Abuse
It is difficult to imagine how many individuals and families are affected by childhood sexual abuse, as it largely is kept secret, and the issue can be very difficult to think and talk about. Taking away the secret is key to ending this harm that occurs to an estimated 10-20% of girls and boys throughout our communities. Child sexual abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level and level of education, in every cultural and ethnic community, and within all religious affiliations.
In King County:
- Over 300,000 adult men and women survivors of childhood sexual abuse in King County based on abuse statistics and census data.
- This is the equivalent of the number of people it would take to fill Century Link Field 4.5 times!
- 80-90% of child sexual abuse victims are abused by a family member or by someone known to the child.
- 70 to 80% of sexual-abuse survivors report excessive use of drugs and alcohol.
- More than 75% of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused.
- Among male survivors, more than 70% seek treatment for issues such as substance abuse, suicidal thoughts or attempted suicide.
- The U.S. Bureau of Justice reports:
- 34% of victims were under age 12
- 1 in 7 victims were under age 6
Darkness to Light Information and Statistics
Information on How to Keep Kids Safe